[Coco] So, how do I make Drivewire go?

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 15:42:33 EDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 7:27 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:
> Since everyone else is talking about it, I thought I'd write in about my experience with Drivewire last week.  I thought I'd set up Drivewire and get the CoCo actually doing something.  Pulled the HDBDOS WAV file for the CoCo 1 from the cloud-9 web page.  Also installed the Drivewire 4 server on my Linux box and the MacOS X Drivewire 3 server on a different machine, just in case.  The cable, as far as I can tell, is correct.  I made it after this diagram: http://www.mediafire.com/view/c91gj67kw7q6yzu/CoCo_DriveWire_3_Serial_Cable.pdf

It sounds like you did everything that is needed. Note that above
cable is not prepared for DATurbo mode, so you must not use a DW4 WAV
file. What kind of CoCo are we talking about?

> Anyway, I load up either Drivewire server, tell it to serve some floppy images, load HDBDOS off cassette, and everything looks ok but the only thing I can get HDBDOS to tell me about any disk device is "I/O Error."  It flashes lights on the serial interface when it tries to access the disk, but the server doesn't seem to do anything useful in response.  I'm afraid it's been a couple of days, but I remember seeing a lot of OP_NOP in the log.  Am I missing something obvious here?  How does one debug this stuff?

How to debug depends a bit on your equipment and skills. I would have
run some terminal emulation program on both ends to verify that you
have the physical setup correct. I don't know what's available on
CoCo, but on the other computer you can use Hyperterminal on Windows
or "screen /dev/ttyUSB0 57600" on Linux.

The flashing light and NOP in the logs indicate that communication is
at least working in one direction.

Tormod