[Coco] What would your ideal CoCo cartridge do?

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 17:09:12 EDT 2013

The bluetooth in Roger's pack was not something the coco could use as a
blue tooth device, it was hidden behind a 6551 uart from the coco
perspective and could only support a serial connection (it's exactly the
equivalent of plugging one of those bt serial modules like you linked into
a serial port on the coco).  So from the coco perspective, it's just a
serial link and can't do anything else.

I believe what George is thinking about is actually interfacing a bluetooth
controller with the coco.  This would potentially allow the entire range of
bluetooth devices to communicate with the coco.  In addition to a serial
link, you could have audio channels, networking, input devices like
keyboards or mice, various types of sensors, printers and so on.  BT
defines many profiles a device can implement.

It would be challenging to implement some types of devices,  but things
like keyboards should not be terribly difficult if the bluetooth hardware
had a built in bt stack (similar to the model of using a wiznet tcpip stack
to provide ethernet or wifi to the coco).