[Coco] Color Computer Mouse Question

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Oct 27 22:23:28 EDT 2013

On Sunday 27 October 2013 22:11:45 Mark J. Blair did opine:

> On Oct 27, 2013, at 18:48 , Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > FWIW, my seriel mouse has whatever resolution the screen its running
> > on has, or a subset of 192 vertical x 320 horizontal IIRC.  IIRC the
> > multivue interface decimates that down to the multivue screens
> > resolution.  Does 3 buttons too.
>
> Now I'm more confused. I was only aware of the CoCo mouse that plugs in
> to a joystick port (?). Was there also a serial port mouse? Wouldn't
> that conflict with using a printer?

This is not anything the shack ever sold.  This one runs on a set of extra
chips piggybacked into the deluxe rs-232 pack.  Either a M$ or a Logitech
serial mouse works as the driver switches modes on 1st receipt of a mouse
packet that can only come from the M$ mouse.  They are quite similar with
the difference being in how the 3rd button is handled.

The driver I wrote is joydrv_6551L.sb in the nitros9 tree for level 2
stuffs.  No jumps, no spasticity like the shacks mice, just works.  For me,
but my piggybacked chips might not be at the same I/O address as yours, I
have a very faint, 20+ yo memory of having moved it for some reason.  The
driver cab be patched with ded in that event to fix that sort of thing.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Persistence in one opinion has never been considered a merit in political
leaders.
		-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, "Ad familiares", 1st century BC
         law-abiding citizens.