[Coco] Another Coco Virtual Disk Util

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Oct 23 14:01:36 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 23 October 2013 13:29:34 Bob Devries did opine:

> It is my understanding that FLOPPY drives have a PD.SAS of 8, and HARD
> drives use 32 ($20). That is done to prevent excessive fragmentation. I
> know I have always used 32 on my hard drives. And isn't a VHD file just
> another form of hard drive?
>
> Gene Heskett can give us chapter and verse on this. He's the resident
> expert.

Expert, thats a leak under pressure I have been repeatedly told. ;-)

Thanks for the flowers Bob.

That said, any floppy descriptor I have setup for more than the default 35
track SS disk, more or less automatically gets a SAS=20.  If I get a disk
full error, and the disk is really about full, I may go back to an 08 or
less just to fill the disk if its important to keep it all in one sock.

You could even use $20 (32) on the 160k default, there will be almost zero
difference (and virtually zero fragmentation) because while it may ask for
$20 sectors to write the file, if the file is only 200 decimal bytes, then
30 of those sectors will be returned to the allocation map as free as it
cleans up after writing that file.  Said a different way the file itself
would then use one sector for its FD sector, and one for the files
contents, leaving 30 unused, and which is returned to the allocation map as
free for use.

The disk would be declared full if there is not SAS contiguous sectors
free.  So you could reduce SAS and then write several more smaller files.
But there would not be any more wasted space on the disk other than the
extension, 2nd FD.SEG of the root directory would be using 32 sectors
instead of 8 in that case, but that should be the only "wasted" space on
the disk.

Note also that when a new directory is created, it will be SAS sectors
long, but the actual length of the directory file will be one less because
the FD sector is part of that allocation.  If worried about space, and you
are creating a new directory that will only have 10 or so files in it, I
would set SAS=04 so as to not waste the extra sectors that will never be
used in practice.  You will get a directory that will hold 3*8-2 = 22 files
that way before it has to be extended by another SAS sectors, whatever SAS
is at the time the extension is needed.  The -2 is the . and .. entries of
course.

I hope this is helpful.