[Coco] FDC emulators was:Re: Its Alive!

Retro Canada retrocanada76 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 18:55:59 EDT 2013

do you consider some kind of push button to go one disk up /down?

multidisk games like The Contras will ask for the second and third disks to be placed and you cannot use basic comands for that.

other games will ask for a save game dsk as well.

On 2013-10-11, at 6:49 PM, Darren A <mechacoco at gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Retro Canada <retrocanada76 at gmail.com>wrote:

> hey Darren,
>
> first congrats for the project, second are you providing a way to change
> the floppy image directly from the coco? Like a special port or something?
>
> if so i could  make a custom version of the sidekick to navigate through
> all the rsdos dsk images on Sd.
>
> just a write port for the current drive number would be enough. the
> maximum drive number could be fixed by software.
Disk images are files on a FAT16 or FAT32 formatted SD card.  Selection of
an image involves the CoCo sending the path name of the file to the
microcontroller.  For now, I've modified the DRIVE command in Disk Basic to
accept a path name following the drive number, as in:

DRIVE 0,"GAMES1.DSK"

One of the things I still need to do is implement a method for the CoCo to
retrieve a list of image files from the SD card (a DIR of the FAT volume).

Once things get more nailed down I'll be happy to provide the technical
details for you or anyone else who wants to write additional utilities for
it.

Darren