[Coco] Slightly non-working floppy drives

Christopher Smith csmith at wolfram.com
Thu Oct 10 19:28:04 EDT 2013

----- Original Message -----

Usually you can get 95% around here with no trouble.  99% can be ordered.

> There are other reasons why tape drives stop working. The speed may
> be incorrect
> and can be adjusted with the strobe pattern on the drive. The head
> may have been
> knocked out of alignment and fixing that normally requires a
> calibration disk
> and a scope, or a special program.
> I've seen the diode that shines through the notch in the disk fallen
> out of
> place. Setting it correctly restored drive operation.

I was looking at those markings on the drive wheel... Figured that was what they were for.

> Your disks may be squashed such that there is too much friction when
> they spin.
> That can permanently damage the magnetic surface. Such disks can be
> rejuvenated
> by breaking the seals on the jacket, removing the actual disk making
> sure that
> you can reinsert it without it being flipped over, and spreading the
> jacket
> edges. When the disk is reinserted into the jacket, there will be
> more space
> between the jacket and the disk permitting spinning with much less
> friction.

Disks are new(ish) and have been sealed until recently.  Also, they work fine in a different drive.

Chris

--
Christopher Smith
Systems Engineer, Wolfram Research