[Coco] too wordy?

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 8 19:14:49 EDT 2013

On 9/10/2013 12:24 AM, Bill Loguidice wrote:

> I greatly prefer using original systems for a variety of reasons (which is
> why my particular videogame and computer collection is so diverse and
> varied), but there's absolutely no denying that emulation has taken our
> hobby/interest/passion to levels that it would have never achieved if we
> were limited to just original hardware.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Personally, I prefer playing games on the real hardware; it's the ultimate
authentic experience. I also enjoy having the real hardware that I can see,
touch and feel!

OTOH, I much, much prefer doing development on an emulator. It's much, much
easier so I can be more productive and not waste time twiddling my thumbs
whilst ancient CPU's and disk drives bust-a-gut building my code. As long as
what I'm developing will ultimately run on real hardware, nothing is lost in
the experience for me.

Emulators also allow easier pick-up-and-play for the times you want a quick
blast when you've only got a few minutes, or you want to sample a game
you've never played before to see if it's worth playing. If it's really
good, then it's worth writing a floppy etc.

Somewhat paradoxically though, I'm also a big fan of hardware emulation
(FPGA's). Don't ask me to explain it, it's just how it is. Ultimately I'd
like an FPGA board mounted in a [Coco*] case, with options for original
peripherals (monitor, floppies, joysticks) but also options for modern
peripherals (VGA, SD, wireless gamepads etc). Not that it would ever replace
my *REAL* Coco of course - just sit alongside...

But that's just me.

[* insert favourite computer here]

Regards,