[Coco] OS-9 80-column driver is ready

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Tue Oct 8 17:50:33 EDT 2013

I assume that this is for a CoCo 1/2 or Dragon?

Because on a CoCo3... what's the point?

That definately will improve the OS-9 experience on these older
CoCo's... but running Level 1 OS-9 at .89Mhz? Duel video may be a novelty.

Can this chip create a bit mapped display rather than just a text screen?

I can see it being usefull if it could do a bit mapped display even if
only monochrome. Otherwise, these old style 70's terminal displays are
just so... out-of-date.

Certainly not a head turner I'm afraid.

Maybe interfacing the TMS9928 as used in the MSX systems could be more
impressive. 16 colours, sprites and dead easy to interface or mix with
the CoCo's video for dual bitplanes.

Only problem is that it is only 40 column unless there is an 80 column
variant?

40 columns is still an improvement over the CoCo 1/2 32 column screen
though.

Nick