[Coco] Considering new HD6309E based board

Al Hartman alhartman6 at optonline.net
Sun Oct 6 15:28:43 EDT 2013

I think a mistake that a lot of systems make is that they give no thought to
casing.

If I had the knowledge to design a system, I'd have the following baselines:

1. Use a form factor for the mother board that will fit a commercially
available case.

Like this, for example: http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=2239&pid=6

2. Either use an easily sourceable power supply, or use the power supply
that fits the case so you have extra connectors for a hard drive, optical
drive, or just an IDE-to-CF adapter. Gie yourself flexibility where the cost
isn't great.

Always keep in mind the short-sightedness of past designers who left
lowercase out of the CoCo, TRS-80 Model I, and Apple ][. Or, who said, "64k
will be enough for anyone."

3. Have VGA video as a lowest common denominator. You could do HDMI if you
wanted.

4. You are going to need USB for mice and keyboards. Either use a USB Key
for initial loading and boot, or put a CF-Card holder on the board. Like the
MiniMIG or others.

5. If possible, make your memory use an SO-DIMM rather than chips on the
board. Setup the connector/system so that a firmware update might allow more
than 512k of RAM. I have a nice P4 notebook where they by design, limited
the RAM to 1gb. Because 256mb modules were the best they had. 512mb were on
the horizon. But, they didn't figure that 1 or 2gb modules would someday be
available and inexpensive.

I think a capable 6309 NitrOS9 system would be popular among the NitrOS9
crowd. And, someone might write a CoCo Simulator to run on it someday.

-[ Al ]-