[Coco] DynoSprite Demo 1

Richard Goedeken Richard at fascinationsoftware.com
Sun Oct 6 00:35:01 EDT 2013

It's true that keeping a static area when using GIME scrolling presents a
problem.  The Coco needs a "copper" like the Amiga has.  Treating the static
area as a sprite gets too computationally expensive very quickly.  I have a
6-digit counter object when can be used for a score, and it takes about 5ms to
render and erase.  If someone wanted to use DynoSprite with a static screen
area I would recommend using the same trick with the downsampled HSYNC IRQ
that you are using for Popstar Pilot.  I think it would work fine even with
vertical scrolling; I would just place the static bitmap area at some fixed
location in the physical RAM memory space, and move the screen start address
between this place and the sliding aperature for the scrolling background at
the correct time in the IRQ handler.  It would cost the overhead of the
hi-frequency IRQ at all times, instead of just when a sound is playing, but
then you could plan for background music.

Richard