[Coco] Loading ASCII BASIC over serial?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Oct 2 13:40:54 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 02 October 2013 13:30:53 Chris Osborn did opine:

> I tried naming it as .BAS but it loaded as garbage. It sort of looks
> like it's expecting it to be the tokenized form of a BASIC program.
> Also, I'm using HDB-DOS so that I could use Extended BASIC. Is there a
> way to tell BASIC to read in the text file as commands, sort of like
> the EXEC command on the Apple II?

Its been 25+ years since I willingly played with rsdos/rsbasic, but if my
old wet ram can be trusted, an untokenized basic file was extended with
.ASC wasn't it?  And of course the 8 character limit also applied, so the
OP's original chosen filename wasn't legal to rsdos anyway.

Or do I not remember correctly.

But just to see if I do remember correctly, try renaming the file to
XXXXXXXX.ASC and see if it will load, and be tokenized as it loads.

And if I remember correctly, a basic program can be saved in a listable and
printable format if the extension when it is saved is .ASC, which IIRC
causes the saved program to be saved in ascii, more or less exactly as it
was typed in originally.