[Coco] Need to Port NitrOS-9 6x09 L2 to N8VEM's New 6x0x Board

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Wed Nov 27 00:01:26 EST 2013

Hi Nick!
N8VEM designs PCBs for many types of 8-bit microprocessor computers from
yesteryear using the Eurocard 3U & now 6U formats which has the dimensions
of 100mm x 160mm and 233mm x 160mm respectively using as much technology
from that era as possible.  They really enjoy it.  As to the 6802, it is
easier to interface to than the 6800 is plus the 6802 has a few more
features than the 6800, its predecessor of course.  Plus the 6802 and 6502
are legacy features N8VEM designers want to still see supported in the 6x0x
project.  Personally I am finding that I am preferring the 6309 myself, but
I only have a Coco 2 and a Coco 1 with an HD63C09EP processor in them and I
have no software to take advantage of it yet in the NitrOS-9 L1 area of
interest.
They also have projects using variations of the Z80, 6502, and the 8088 and
maybe others as well.  It is a very active group of computer builders.  All
of them buy the N8VEM PCBs for $20 plus shipping and build their own 8-bit
computer systems from the ground up and really enjoy the heck out of doing
it.  Once your creation is troubleshot, debugged, fully functional and
finally boots up for the first time, the feeling of accomplishment and joy
is almost overwhelming!  A very satisfying experience to be sure.  I have
experienced many moments over the years just like that writing and debugging
computer programs myself and finally seeing the program, my creation, come
to life is Very gratifying.  I imagine everyone who does this kind of work
for fun has had similar experiences they can relate.
Altair and SWTPC had  a 6800 version in their 8-bit computer lines for a
number of years before the 6809 came out.  Many people still like Flex and
UniFlex as opposed to OS-9 in addition to CP/M and DOS.  I cut my teeth on
DOS systems for many years myself.  I still remember what the function keys
do in DOS!  My OS of choice these days is NitrOS-9 6809 L2 and that is why
I'd like to see it ported to this new PCB hence my excitement about the
project.
N8VEM has many retro type computer designs to pick from for the many guys
who enjoy revisiting their youth when computers were young and so were their
builders' knowledge.  I'm definitely one of them.  :)  I use to drool over
the Altair and SWTPC ads many times.  Take care my friends.
Kip