[Coco] Fixing OS-9 format for those that "roll their own"

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Sat Nov 16 14:39:27 EST 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Hirsch"

> On Thu, 14 Nov 2013, Bruce W. Calkins wrote:
>
>> I have the parts to set up a B&B drive.
>> My main CoCo 3 which has been langushing in the shed for too many years
>> uses a pair of 190 megabyte MFM drives.  I have 4 of the drives and when
>> I packed them up they were all copies.
>
> Maxtor 2190, no doubt.  I have three or four of these in operational
> condition.  When you spin them up, the inrush current just about dims the
> lights in the room :-).
>
> IIRC, they were the largest MFM hard drives possible under the original
> spec.
>
> Steve
> --
Yes, they are Maxtor's XT-2190, the largest MFM drives made.  they were
popular on some sort of audio processing machine used in broadcast radio.
When I got mine they were a glut on the market nad I usually paid more to
ship them then I paid for them.  When I quit watching for them on eBay the
prices are getting a bit dear.
Bruce W.