[Coco] Coco4?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Nov 16 12:39:47 EST 2013

On Saturday 16 November 2013 12:27:11 Mathieu Bouchard did opine:

> Le 2013-11-16 à 12:14:00, Bob Devries a écrit :
> > The SCII is a no-halt controller with an accessory bus into which can
> > be plugged the 4-in-1 card which has an RTC, a serial port, a
> > parallel port, and a SCSI port, all inside the one cartridge.
>
> What's this 4-in-1 card and where does it come from ? The SCII I have
> has a RTC and a parallel port, but no serial and no SCSI.
>
> Is the serial port using a UART ?

Yes, but its effectively wired tip-ring-ground, so you MUST used software
XON/XOFF.

The RTC is subjected to powerup/pwerdown's trashing its time, and the
parport is NOT buffered or handshake capable.  If you want to drive a
parallel printer, you must build an interface that does this, sitting right
on the port else the FCC's required noise filters in the printers port will
make it skip characters or drop bits, screwing with the character.  Totally
unusable with a CGP-220, CGP-115 or a DMP-132 on a coco 3, the slower
clocked coco 1 & 2 will probably work 99.9% of the time.  The slower
clocking of the 1 & 2's will bring up the data and hold it long enough for
the printer to get it pretty, but not 100% reliably.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

The easiest way to get the root password is to become system admin.
		-- Unknown source
         law-abiding citizens.