[Coco] serial port problem

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Nov 1 14:29:26 EDT 2013

Le 2013-10-31 à 12:46:00, Aaron Wolfe a écrit :

> For instance, we use the CD pin on the coco as part of the read data
> operation to achieve speeds over 115k.

How does that work ?

> Long story short, behavior in one coco serial program can be entirely
> different than another.  If you have 300 bps or 2400 bps or really any
> comm at all between PC and coco, you are probably fine.

Thanks for the info.

> It is difficult to size some gui components to display correctly on the
> huge range of platforms we try to support. I can make it bigger in the
> next version.  Can you send me a screen shot of what it looks like?

Generally, I'd rather recommend that dialogue-boxes be sized according to
what their contents are. The GUI toolkit typically knows that size on its
own, because it computes the size and position of every component within
that window. Thus the best way to ensure that it always work on every OS
is not to measure the size of the window on every OS, but rather on none
of the OSes, and just let the software figure it out. (I don't know how to
do that in Swing in particular, but I remember that in Tk, it's the
default behaviour).

Anyway, doesn't every OS have font-scalers that can change the required
size of the window depending on what the user told the system ?

> You can also use the configuration editor or any text editor on
> config.xml to manually set the port.

BTW, it seems that exiting the app normally is « saving settings » to
config.xml, but when I change the bps rate from the app, the bps rate does
not appear to change at all in config.xml. Also, the wizard offers running
the port at 19200 bps, and then the other config panel doesn't offer that
choice. This is just FYI, because I don't need those features.