[Coco] Unusual problem

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Nov 1 12:23:36 EDT 2013

Le 2013-11-01 à 11:18:00, Bill a écrit :

> HOWEVER, when I bring it into the house and hook it up to my PC in the
> office (also running XP SP3), it will not run ANY NitrOS-9 images from
> DriveWire. I load a standard 40tk NitrOS-9 image into Drive 0, type DOS,
> and all it does is come back with 'OK'.

Can it be some kind of « power pollution » ? Some devices eat current in a
quite nonsmooth way, and this disturbs the current that other devices can
get from the same set of power outlets.

For example, 20 years ago, I plugged the CCR-81 cassette recorder into the
same power bar as a PC running a BBS with a 2400 or 14400 bps modem. The
modem stopped recognising any incoming call. I unplugged the CCR-81 and
voilà, it worked again.

And much more recently, I was getting a huge noise in the speakers and/or
microphone in somebody's basement, but only sometimes. It took a while to
find out that it happened only while someone else used the microwave oven
on a different floor...

(All of those outlets had working ground pins, all affected equipment had
ground pins, and the microwave also had a ground pin. The only thing that
didn't was the CCR-81.)