[Coco] Unusual problem

Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) retrocanada76 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 11:47:33 EDT 2013

He does not like to work in an office :)

My first guess is that is some broken solder and when you move it chances
that it make contact or not. Or even a dirty gime pin. Open it and press
each socketed chip to reseat them. Make sure you don't have static
electricity first by touching any grounded metal. Try to reseat the memory
expansion tool. Since its an add on it could move when you move the coco3.

Second guess would be the PSU. I would try to test this board on your
second coco3 psu. Check if you have any electrolyctic like this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/AuETErHCIAAyqkb.jpg:large

The 220uF in this pic is corroded.

other commom coco3 problems:

- gime chip must have the pins cleaned and reseated (you can only remove it
using a special tool)
- 6809 cpu

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Bill <cwgordon at carolina.rr.com> wrote:

> I have an unusual problem. I have a Coco 3 that acts very strangely.
>
> When hooked to my PC (running XP SP3) in the shed, it works great.
>
> It will read DriveWire 4 without a hitch, and it will run BOTH RS-DOS and
> NitrOS-9 disks beautifully. I save a NitrOS-9 image to a physical disc, and
> it boots with no problem.
>
> HOWEVER, when I bring it into the house and hook it up to my PC in the
> office (also running XP SP3), it will not run ANY NitrOS-9 images from
> DriveWire. I load a standard 40tk NitrOS-9 image into Drive 0, type DOS,
> and
> all it does is come back with 'OK'.
>
> Both computers have identical dual serial port cards in them with identical
> drivers. They are even running on the same ports (Com6).
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks

Long live the CoCo