[Coco] Multi-Processor 6809 Computer System

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Thu May 2 15:51:03 EDT 2013

 > Realistically, IMHO, the only incarnation we'll ever see of a Coco
running
 > at upwards of 20MHz is going to be in an FPGA... forget trying to
replace
 > the CPU on a Coco motherboard if you want a significant speed boost.

I wasn't thinking of 20Mhz+

The CoCo has survived on 1.78Mhz for over 20 years. Even a jump to 4Mhz
would be significant, 8 would be super.

Of course, the bottleneck will always be the GIME in such an upgrade to
an existing CoCo3.

Like I said, even a small increase helps, nothing too adventurous. The
idea is that such a mod would be low cost and affordable by all. It may
be able to use a smaller and lower cost FPGA or even a microcontroller.

Not much point creating a Super CoCo that is priced beyond most peoples
expectation of a small hobby retro computer.

Nick