[Coco] Weird CoCo 2 keyboard problem -- any ideas?

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Sat Mar 30 12:01:46 EDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 07:33:57PM -0400, Arthur Flexser wrote:
> Very strange.  I suppose one question one might investigate is whether the
> shifted / is detected at all, but misidentified as a nonprinting character,
> versus whether it is entirely unseen.  What happens if you run
>
> 10 PRINT ASC(INKEY$);: GOTO 10
>
> and type a question mark?

The version above gives FC errors.  I refactored as below:

10 A$=INKEY$
20 IF A$="" THEN 10
30 PRINT ASC(A$)
40 GOTO 10

The program above prints 47 for '/' and nothing at all for '?'.

I did, however, discover that my initial report was a bit mistaken.
I found that SHIFT-7 (the apostrophe) wasn't working either.
This shares the same keyboard column as the '/' (aka '?') key,
as well as the SHIFT key itself.  Sure enough, after entering
lowercase/inverse mode (i.e. after SHIFT-0) typing 'W', 'O', and 'G'
all work but SHIFT-W, SHIFT-O, and SHIFT-G go undetected.  Guess which
column they all share?

Swapping-out the keyboard assembly seems like a logical next step...

John