[Coco] Will someone please build an iChip->RS232 box?

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Fri Mar 29 21:40:41 EDT 2013

I learned about the iChip from Mark Marlette at the 2001 CoCoFEST!  This "internet on a chip" chip let pre-internet devices do all kinds of things on the internet. The iChip not only handled all the TCP/UDP/IP stack, but application protocols too. You could send it commands and it would FTP a file, or fetch a web page, or do FTP operations. All the host system had to do was send it commands, then read/write the data.

At the time, the iChip was available in a serial/modem version, and Ethernet version. I never had the money, but I had wanted to buy their evaluation board, which was an external modem with the iChip built in. That, connected to a CoCo, would have gotten it on the internet back in 2001.

Today, the iChip is still around and does more, including WiFi versions. Here's the basic one:

http://www.connectone.com/?page_id=180

This is a $25 part. I do not know enough to try to build an RS232 to iChip converter, but maybe someone here could take a look at it. It would be a killer product for the CoCo, and all the other 8-bit systems out there.

Anyone looking for a project?
-
Allen Huffman - PO Box 22031 - Clive IA 50325 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
Sent from my MacBook.

22nd Annual "Last" Chicago CoCoFEST! April 27-28, 2013. Lombard, IL. http://www.glensideccc.com - And check out the CoCo-X project: http://kck.st/16fAwkf