[Coco] CoCo3FPGA Video Modes (Was: Re: CoCo-X is funding)

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Wed Mar 27 14:25:39 EDT 2013

On 03/26/2013 07:17 PM, Allen Huffman wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2013, at 1:20 PM, Gary Becker <Gary_L_Becker at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> Now is the time to show your support for the next generation of Tandy Color Computer.
>>
>> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/854038380/coco-x-the-next-generation-of-tandy-color-computer
> First, let me say that the concept of a replacement motherboard that gives some compatibility with existing hardware is a great thing. I would assume, just like CoCo folks used to repack their machines in IBM-PC cases, there will also be that possibility for those who don't want a CoCo to look like a CoCo.
>
> Does the CoCoFGPS implement any additional video modes not found in a stock GIME?

Yes.  Honestly, it's been a while since I did any work with that, but I
started trying to modify the 'view' program to be able to use some of
the new graphics modes.  If I recall correctly, the palette registers
now offer 12 bits of color resolution instead of just 6, so you can
select 16 of 4096 colors instead of 16 of 64.  That can make a
significant difference in the recognizability of, say, a digital photo
quantized down to 16 colors.  Less color error.  There is also a 256
color mode (fixed palette) at 160 pixels horizontal resolution -- the
same as the 8-bit artifact color 'mode' on a stock CoCo 3 with a
composite monitor.  Probably not the same 256 colors, but similar enough
resolution that I could well imagine games and other programs targeting
both.  Finally, I believe CoCo3FPGA has the option to double the
vertical resolution of any standard GIME graphics mode.

JCE