[Coco] Introducing the CoCo-X

Mark Marlette mmarlette at frontiernet.net
Sun Mar 24 13:03:12 EDT 2013

Frank,

Actually this is Gary's thread.....This has nothing to do with his project....Sorry Gary.....

Already done that. It is easy to have the CoCo's format on the SD. Not sure how often you actually xfer files to and from a device other than a CoCo or even a CoCo to CoCo transfer????? A computer can do it a million times faster than you could, even though the tools are nice to have, I personally would rather have those mundane tasks be performed by the computer at zero performance loss.

With that said, for me, it isn't about the path of least resistance. It is about learning. Having the CoCo do something that it hasn't done before. There is nothing new about having a SD, uSD, CF, SCSI, IDE/ATA/ATAPI, etc, as that is just media. Nothing new about having FAT transfers as there have been tools / utilities to do this in the past and still do work. What is new is having HARDWARE do this for you at speeds that you would get from RAM disk benchmarks. My target is ~10second megareads. Considering the overhead takes up 7seconds....... :) Still sitting in a development board environment. It proves the basis and provides a baseline but is far from optimal. Conventional serial protocols like this are very slow and the coco is faster than that.

Product requirement at Cloud-9....The CoCo has to be the slowest device when it come to media transfers.

I could say a lot more but will leave it at that...... :)

Regards,

Mark
http://www.cloud9tech.com