[Coco] Introducing the next generation of Color Computer, the CoCo-X

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 21 19:13:10 EDT 2013

On 21/03/2013 10:53 PM, Steven Hirsch wrote:

> I think the compatibility is generally in one direction:  You can always
> feed a DVI input from HDMI.  The other way around is not a given, although
> YMMV.

That's not what the standard says. They should be 100% compatible. The
incompatibilities come about when trying to feed HDCP HDMI to non-HDCP DVI
or vice-versa, or incompatible resolutions and/or scan rates.

Monitor capabilities are read from an EPROM (EDID) on DVI and HDMI systems;
if the driver for the display adapter decides that the monitor can't support
the desired display, it may decide to shut off video output. That can be
another source of incompatibilities.

Regards,