[Coco] NitrOS9 Sources

David Ladd drencor at gamepixel.net
Mon Mar 11 13:55:21 EDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Bill Gunshannon <billg999 at cs.uofs.edu>wrote:

> <cut>

And the second....  Everything is in assembler.  Is this also
> deliberate?  Is it for maximum efficiency?  Is it philosophical?
> Is it political? :-) Has any thought ever been given to re-writting
> some/most/all of it in a higher level language (like C :-) and
> making it portable to other platforms, much like what MicroWare
> did when they developed OS9000?

Bill, one of the things you have to look at is that OS-9 L1 & L2 was always
assembler for memory reasons.

As far as converting it to C to be portable to other systems would not fly
as Microware already has C source for the OS-9 that runs in OS9000 and
other platforms.  So if we were to make a C version of OS-9 and release it
would cause problems legally with it.  So no one really wants to risk going
to jail over rewriting OS-9 into C to be cross system.

Only option at this point is if you do want OS-9 on another platform is
contact Microware for a version for the hardware system you are looking
for. *shrug*

Otherwise most of us who don't want to seek trouble will touch the idea of
porting OS-9 to C.