[Coco] 2 wasted cpus?

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Sat Mar 9 23:08:41 EST 2013

Simon,
One option you might want to consider when you replace your dead mc6809e
would be to get The Pro-Tector+ from Cloud-9 Tech.  The link for Cloud-9
Tech is

http://www.cloud9tech.com/

and click on the Hardware button at the top of the page and then click on
the "Pro-Tector+" link on the second row.  Although I do not have one I
would heartily recommend it.  According to what I've read on this list over
the last year or so, the folks at Cloud-9 Tech do fantastic work!  Since you
probably have to desolder you old dead '09 from the motherboard anyway, why
not install the best protection for the best 8-bit cpu there ever was for
the Coco hands down, the HD63C09EP commonly called the 6309.  I'm planning
on upgrading my Coco 2 and Coco 3 with the 6309 cpu eventually myself, but
since I only have one of each and they both work, I'm holding off until I
get a second one of each before I do any serious modifying.  I have to buy a
much lower wattage soldering iron so I don't burn traces clean off the
motherboard!  Yes, I have done that before on other non-related projects
with a black plug-straight-into-the-wall soldering iron.  I was not happy!
:(  Needless to say I had to repair the trace with small insulated wirewrap
wire.  Anyhow, I hope this has helped in some way.  I hope the surgery on
your Coco will be a resounding success!  I'm sure this has been done many
times before.  Take care.
Kip