[Coco] Intro and need some help (Was: Re: (no subject))

Bill Gunshannon billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
Sat Mar 9 09:04:06 EST 2013

> Bill, the boots are different to boot from hd and floppy. You must have
> the boot to match your system. There's various boots in the Nitro sources
> and some already built though the nightly builds are down for the moment.
> I assume with SuperIDE you're booting from IDE dirve. I think you need the
> IDE boot for that.

Actually, it came to me while I slept last night.  The bootfile on
the SuperDrive floppy was, obviously, not built with the drivers on
that disk.  I will do some playing around today and see what I can
come up with.

As far as sources, I plan to move all the sources onto the COCO so
I can play in a non-cross-compiling envronment.  The only thing I
haven't detrmined yet is if the 40 Meg drive will be big enough.  I
have a lot of drives laying around, but most are too big, but I
assume you can just use as much as the system will take and waste
the rest.  Anybody able to tell me what the max number of sectors
one can use with a HDB-DOS/OS9 shared disk are?  I have already
tried a few that were over the limit but if someone can tell me
what the limit is it will save me sometime.  I think the limit is
somewhere around either 2G or possibly 4G but concrete numbers would
definitely help.

I am already having fun.  Wait till I have everything working and you
hear what someof my projects are going to be!!  Oh yeah, I dug out my
C Compiler and my Pascal Compiler and put both of them on the hard disk,
too.  But I expect most of my work will be in C (and ASM, of course!)

> Wait till you discover Drivewire.... :-)

I know what it is, but not sure what it will do for me.  Unless there
is a utility for putting stuff on a DriveWire disj image on the PC.
Then I could use it for moving software around and wouldn't need the
OS9 version of Kermit (which I already put the sources for on my disk.)

bill

billg999 at cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |