[Coco] CoCo 1/2 to VGA?

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Fri Mar 8 23:57:19 EST 2013

Luis,
The Y output portion of your schematic looks very similar to a composite
video schematic for the Coco 2 that I put together a while back.  I got it
from a one page article I found on the internet shortly after I joined this
Coco List of ours.  RS sold me a bag of 25 NPN transistors (don't remember
the number) that had PNPs mixed in which I was not aware of.  Needless to
say, my implementation of the circuit did not work with a pnp transistor in
the circuit as the second transistor had all the wrong voltages.  I
connected the output of the first transistor to a cable and to a composite
video input of an old Monitor I have, and it worked fine (if I remember
correctly).  The first transistor was functioning correctly as all the
voltages measured correctly on my fluke meter.  I got very disgusted with RS
and made them make good on the transistors.  I brought my fluke meter with
me since it has an NPN & PNP transistor mode and measured each and every
transistor Before buying them.  I finally got my 25 NPN transistors, but
oddly enough, I never went back to finish the circuit.  I should finish that
thing and now I can provide Component Video Out on my Coco 2!  Now that is
pretty Cool!  I'll have to dig out that big old CRT with Five BNC connectors
on it and see if it will work.  In the meantime, I'll use my little
Composite Video Monitor from yesteryear.  I could use the composite video
input of our big screen TV!  The Coco 3 composite video output worked great
on it!  Hummmm!
Kip