[Coco] 2 wasted cpus?

Harry Hurst hhos at st-tel.net
Thu Mar 7 22:20:59 EST 2013

> just got my 2 mc68b09e cpus from jameco. removed the defective cpu from my
> coco2, installed a machined socket but when i test both cpus all i get is
> garbled screeen. with vdg checkerboard and at signs. the same if i remove
> and turn it on without the cpu.
>
> i checked the continuity on all pins seems fine. cpu is receiving 5v and
> making some heat.
>
> so did i get 2 busted  cpus?

I doubt that there is a problem with the 6809's. Jameco is a pretty good
outfit AFAIK. I think you almost certainly have something else wrong with
your CoCo2. The MC6883 may be bad. Jameco probably has them. I only found
one ad on eBay. Last time I looked for one there were several. They may be
getting hard to find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SN74LS783N-MC6883P-MOTOROLA-74LS783-40-Pin-DIP-NOS-/370632128915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564b657993

If this link doesn't work it is probably because it got broken up into two
separate pieces. Just put them back to together and it should work.

HH