[Coco] SuperComm and DW4 virtual modems

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sat Mar 2 20:51:10 EST 2013

Hey all,

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I'm having trouble getting supercomm to
communicate over DW4's virtual modem.  I'm using Drivewire 4.3.0 in
Ubuntu 10.04, and booting from nos96309l2_dw3.dsk.  I've copied the
scdwn driver and network descriptors n - n10 (should I need more than
that?) from dw4_server_l2_6309.dsk and merged them into a file with
telnet (which I'm also having trouble with).

I'm invoking supercomm with "supercomm /n".  I've also tried "supercomm
/n1".  I hit F1, change options, and turn on echo, and then try, say,
Bill Gordon's BBS:  "atdtsq1bbs.com"  or "atd sq1bbs.com" or other
variations.  Doesn't seem to do anything.  I've tried with the baud rate
set at 2400, 9600, and 19200 and get the same effect.  On the Ubuntu
machine that the DW4 server is running on, I can "telnet sq1bbs.com" and
connect with no problem, so the issue isn't between my PC and the
destination.  And the serial connection between the server and the CoCo
is fine, otherwise I wouldn't be able to boot NitrOS-9, of course.

Is there something I'm missing in how I'm trying to connect supercomm to
the virtual modem, or in the dialing syntax? Suggestions for how to go
about troubleshooting?

JCE