[Coco] make dskcopy not working

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 12:45:13 EDT 2013

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 9:09 PM, Willard Goosey wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 10:09:53AM +0200, Tormod Volden wrote:
>> (BTW, the toolshed build setup has the same problem as nitros9 - it
>> just keeps on building after something has failed...)
>
> That's how unix-y make(1) wants to work, it wants to do as much as it
> can even if parts fail.
>
> Try giving it the -S or --no-keep-going or --stop options.

Not necessarily the issue here. The makefile actions are sometimes
constructed as chain of commands linked with ";" like:

a ; b; c

which means if a fails, it will continue to do b and then c. If c is
successful, make will be happy and go on. I changed many of these to
become:

a && b && c

so that make detects the error if any of these break.

Another problem is targets that get started on (i.e. disk image gets
created) but fail mid-way. make will then stop (as it should). If the
user then runs make again, make will see the disk image exists and be
happy about that and go on to the next, not knowing it was broken.
This explains the "I got some error but after running make several
time everything built" - which may look like it worked but in reality
some images are broken.

Tormod