[Coco] mercurial

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Jul 11 13:12:26 EDT 2013

On Thursday 11 July 2013 12:25:23 Bob Devries did opine:

> The rules.mak file in the root dir NITROS9 has AS set to use MAMOU, The
> lwasm is commented out.
>
> Is that rules.mak file the only one I need to change?
> Do I need any other changes?
>
> Regards, Bob Devries
> Dalby, QLD, Australia

Perhaps you've not set the hg branch correctly?  I know little about it and
the man page is very concise to the point of being obtuse for me.  hg and
git have comparable commands for much of it but thats about all I have been
able to discern.

The version I pulled with hg about 6 months back had all the problems we
know about, broken descriptors et all, and it was also set for lwtools use,
not mamou.  I fixed it to make good descriptors  although I may have missed
the 50 cycle clock bits, and my repo builds and works on my machine using
lwtools-4.8, the latest release according to google just now .  There is a
script in the makefile that simplifies its a bit, you can do, in the root
of the tree, a  "make hgupdate" which if you have the login stuff set
right, just works.  However, after doing it ok several time, apparently
someone with root at srcforge nuked my login credentials.

I asked how to fix it and was ignored, which tells me they don't want or
need my help.  So be it.

Here, I just checked again, and my password to do an hg pull has been
nuked.

And as I said, questions about how to reset my password have not generated
a response.  It could be that its because I changed ISP's, but that was
over 2 years ago now, and it continued to work for a year after that for
cvs pulls, and for the first 2 or 3 hg pulls.

AIUI, the changes needed to be able to use lwtools are pretty so I waited
for TPTB to do that since it was their choice.  In my now dated copy of the
repo, those changes have been made, and I was able to fix 90% of the rest
of it, it builds for me and runs fine on my machine.

If TPTB do not want to encourage my help, I guess thats is their choice,
but I do get tired of continually reading about problems that I fixed in my
own code base much of a year ago.

Now, from the makefile, 2 snips that bother me:

# This section is to do the nightly build and upload
# to sourceforge.net you must set the environment
# variable SOURCEUSER to the userid you have for sourceforge.net
# The "burst" script is found in the scripts folder and must
# on your ssh account at sourceforge.net
ifdef   SOURCEUSER
nightly: clean hgupdate dskcopy
        make info>$(DSKDIR)/ReadMe
        $(ARCHIVE) nitros9project $(DSKDIR)/*
        scp nitros9project.zip
$(SOURCEUSER),nitros9 at web.sourceforge.net:/home/groups/n/ni/nitros9/htdocs
        ssh $(SOURCEUSER),nitros9 at shell.sourceforge.net create
        ssh $(SOURCEUSER),nitros9 at shell.sourceforge.net "./burst"
else
nightly:
        @echo ""
        @echo ""
        @echo "You need to set the SOURCEUSER variable"
        @echo "You may wish to refer to the nightly"
        @echo "section of the makefile."
endif

The question is, what do I put in $SOURCEUSER

and

# This section is to run a nightly test.
# This requires you to setup a environment variable
# called TESTSSHSERVER.
# example would be: TESTSSHSERVER='testuser at localhost'
# another example: TESTSSHSERVER='testuser at test.testhost.com'
#
# You are also required to setup a target path for your file
# and the environment variable that is being used in this
# section is called TESTSSHDIR
ifdef   TESTSSHSERVER
ifdef   TESTSSHDIR

I don't have these set, primarily because I have no clue how to set those
exports.

I am not at all comfortable with putting that stuff in my ~/user/.bashrc
for the whole world to see, its a security hole you could drive 88,000 lbs
of swinging beef through.