[Coco] Destruction of wav by VCC 1.42

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sat Jan 12 21:47:12 EST 2013

David Ladd wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM, Luis Fernández <luis46coco at hotmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hello friends
>> I found a dangerous error in VCC, v1.42
>> Do not open a tape file of 44100 different sampling because it damages
>> immediately. Load without play, change it to 44100, damaging it.
>> This header information can be repaired with a sound editor, but not easy
>> Just touch the header, no data information
>> in other words if you have a wav to 11025, it passed to 44100, without
>> asking, and the sound will be very sharp, preventing subsequent loading,
>> both, VCC as real.
>>
>> If you want to test you can use this file, which is 11,250
>> ftp://maltedmedia.com/coco/NEWLY-RECEIVED/MANIFESTO.WAV<cut>
>>

> Thanks for letting us know about this destructive bug.  At least will help
> others to make sure to convert their wave files to 44.1KHz before using
> with  VCC.
>
> Might want to pass that problem on to Joseph who is the author of VCC so he
> knows.

Here are a few more details. MESS CSAVEs files as 44.1KHz 16-bit wave files if
that format is chosen. It will read either 8 or 16-bit files. Files CSAVEd by
MESS can be read by VCC with either 8 or 16-bit format.
VCC CSAVEs files as 44.1KHz 8-bit wave files if that format is chosen. The files
can be read by MESS.

Now the sample file given by Luis is not a Basic or ml program. It is some kind
of data file created by a Editor program. Oddly enough, it could have been a
Basic program as lines start with 0 PRINT".... 1 PRINT".... etc. However, the
Coco will not recognize it as a Basic program. It can be CLOADed but will not list.
I was able to do a CLOAD and then SAVEM"MANIFEST",&HE01,&H7FFF,0 the file to
disk. Once exported to my PC, I was able to read the file with Windows Wordpad.
The text is an almost incoherent rant from someone who could not manage his
finances and holds the United States government responsible.

In my opinion, it is not worth anyone's time trying to read this file.

Robert