[Coco] Suppose, for a moment, I were to make some changes to HDB-DOS.

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Fri Jan 4 17:52:32 EST 2013

Juan Castro wrote:
> And suppose I needed a new low RAM variable to store a setting for a new
> functionality I'm writing.
>
> What would be the best course of action? I imagine page 0 must be
> completely full, but there's that DECB variable area where graphics page 0
> used to be. It's just a couple of bytes.
>
> Juan

Juan,

If you are asking what memory is free for use with HDBDOS active and not, as the
Subject states, want to make changes to HDBDOS, almost anywhere in memory would
work. If as stated, you intend to change HDBDOS, that should be run past Boisy
for approval.

HDBDOS and RGBDOS make use of space in page0 and that must not be overwritten.
You can get specs on which bytes are reserved in pages 0&1 at
http://www.frontiernet.net/~mmarlette/Cloud-9/Support/HDB-DOS%20User%20Manual.pdf
You will also need to preserve the bytes used by the Basic ROMs so should study
the information in the "Unravelled" series.

Robert