[Coco] 86-87 GIME chip detect challenge

John Kowalski sockmaster at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 18:33:49 EST 2013

On Sat Dec 7 12:16:32 EST 2013, Darren A wrote:

>Cool! Now how about a way to detect if you're running on a CoCo 1 or a
>CoCo 2, or more specifically whether or not a SALT chip is present?
>
>Darren

I'm not sure there would be a way to detect the SALT chip, unless
there were some way to send a signal through it and measure how long
it takes for it to make it to the other side.
(Going on the assumption that the SALT is faster than the (741?), a
signal coming out of the SALT should stabilize/change state faster
than it would on the 741)

But I think the signals are all one-way with no way to read back
output signals or to feed signals into an input.  You could do it with
a jumper cable - eg: feeding the serial data out back into the carrier
detect in, and program code could measure how much time passed between
setting the output and when it came back in through the carrier
detect.

--
John Kowalski / Sock Master
http://users.aei.ca/twilight/sock