[Coco] Moratorium on using double-dash?

Christopher R. Hawks chawks at dls.net
Fri Dec 6 07:32:09 EST 2013

On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 22:26:04 -0700
Andrew <keeper63 at cox.net> wrote:

> All,
>
> I didn't mean to stir anything up on this; like I said, just kind
> venting on it. But I do thank everyone for their comments and
> suggestions; I didn't realize that it was for signatures, and that it
> had a very long history, which is why Thunderbird hasn't changed
> anything, I suppose.
>
> Also - to William Astle - your suggestion to select then reply sounds
> good from a certain perspective, and I will keep it in mind; that
> said, the strange color shifting that happens affects how the digest
> version of the list shows to me, because TB hits the dashes, greys
> out the text, and continues with greyed text until (seemingly) it
> hits an indented "reply line" of text, then the text goes back to
> normal. One would think that if the sig is supposed to be greyed out,
> only the sig would - but I guess because in a digest, there's no way
> to know when the "signature" ends (why an ending delimeter wasn't
> included in the spec is probably lost to history - I guess digest
> mode mail was something that came later?) - so it continues on.
>
> Part of my other problem is that the grey text is similar to my
> background, which is also a (darker) shade of grey. I'll have to look
> into changing that.
>
> Thanks again, everyone!
>
> Andrew

Andrew:

	There are a couple of options for the format of digests. Have
you tried them? I would think that the signature thing would be a
problem for everyone with a real e-mail client. Is there an
'owner' option for removing the signatures from digests?? (I would
think that would be a good idea.)

Christopher R. Hawks
HAWKSoft
--
Q: Who has the right of way when four cars approach a four-way
   stop at the same time?