[Coco] Multiple HDB-DOS 256 drive partitions Software Wanted

Bill Gunshannon billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
Fri Apr 26 07:45:34 EDT 2013

> Oh, bummer!   I was hoping for a PC style partition table, or any style
> partition table that would support more than two operating systems.  I was
> also hoping too hard that this data would be stored on the disk itself
> rather than in ROM ( like a volume carrying its own metadata ).   Sorry,
> it
> seems my "what if" and "geeze whiz... that would be cool"  must have
> mis-translated this thread!   :)

I don't see any reason why that can't be done.  As long as all the OSes
you expect to be run on the COCO know about and abide by it.

You take the very first sector track or whatever and you write your
partition table there.  And every OS has to know that the first step
in initialization has to be reading this information and acting
accordingly.

Someone care to tell me why this couldn't be done?

bill