[Coco] No more dream ports (Was:Wolfenstein 3-D on a 4.77mhz 8088? So, 6809 port, anyone?)

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Thu Apr 25 02:48:40 EDT 2013

Mark,

While it is true that Xevious had 3 CPUs, (Main, Graphics and sound)  it
did not need all that power.  The Namco Galaga board was used for the
following games...
Galaga, Bosconian, Dig Dug, Xevious and Super Xevious.

The hardware designers built the Namco Galaga board for more than just
the Galaga game.  Since they did not know what games would be using it,
they over-design to cover any future games.

I don't believe that graphics on the board had any sprites. (Arcade game
Zaxxon also did not have sprites.)  Graphic work was done of the Charter
map system to emulate sprites.  This is why they put a CPU in the
graphic system.

If the number of game objects is kept low then a game "like" Xevious or
1942 could be done on a CoCo 3.  Since the vertical scrolling technique
takes 128k just for the screens, you will need a 512k CoCo 3 to run the
game.

Steve