[Coco] CoCo-X project

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 16:45:51 EDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Mike Rowen <mike at bcmr3.net> wrote:
> I agree with you, Mark. Clearly, the CoCo-X is out of reach for many who have interest. But the interest will likely continue within the CoCo community. Even if the Kickstarter project falls short of it's goal, it at least establishes what might be available to produce something or simply have succeeded in testing the potential market, which may be too small. I certainly applaud Gary's effort.

Definitely agree, Gary's effort in designing and planning what such a
project would take in terms of effort and money is very admirable.
The FPGA based CoCo is a beautiful thing, as those of us with Gary's
CoCo3FPGA running on a DE1 or Spartan board already know.  Taking it a
step further into an actual motherboard replacement is very cool.

I think one aspect holding such a project back is that until you
really play with an FPGA CoCo and experience the way it.. "feels" like
a "real" CoCo, you can't appreciate just how fun and cool these things
are.  If a prototype could be demoed to lots of people I think
orders/pledges would increase quite a bit.

Maybe it won't happen this time, but the hardware is getting smaller
and cheaper and better every year.  Like some other "dream projects"
for the CoCo, I think this one is inevitably going to become possible
at some point.  Gary has provided a valuable watermark for where we
are at today on that path.