[Coco] Well I think that the http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/ is being shut down. Or should be.

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Apr 17 04:43:33 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 17 April 2013 04:15:54 Stephen H. Fischer did opine:

> Hi,
>
> You are suggesting that I wished you to kill the Forums.
>
> It was an attempt to get the CoCo community to wake up that a valuable
> resource was about to be lost.

> Either the CoCo Community will discuss how to use the Forums and start
> using it, or it will die.
>
> I saw the need for a Forum like you created decades before you actually
> did it.
>
> I could not, hands off to you for trying.
>
> It's up to the CoCo Community now. There is no chatter except mine about
> the Forums.
>
> I said in a PM on another topic,
>
> "Silence is violently damming much more than damming by faint praise."
>
> I hear a lot of silence.

> As for our differences, you will find many people to load your shells.
> Most people will mix up the Kool-Aid with the needed increment for you
> to give to me.
>
> Part of the triple whammy that we in the S.F Bay area were hit with
> including the killing of the S.F Mayor and Harvey Milk. The news was
> FULL of the anniversary news a few months ago. That hit me violently
> hard at the same time a post was made to me saying that I drank the
> Kool-Aid. Well I drank a lot of Sugar free Kool-Aid until they stopped
> putting it in stores. I now drink the other brands.
>
> I have made a change to the first post I made on AVS, 4/29/2009. You can
> look at it here:
> http://www.avsforum.com/t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/4290#post_16353546
>
> I can also delete that or any other of my 1,320 posts. Yes, April 29,
> 2009! 1,300 Posts.
>
> That someone wanted to delete their posts and found that they could not
> ending up with creating a blank posts pissed you off so bad that you
> removed one of the strong points over the mailing list, the ability to
> edit old posts.
>
> There are just too few exports on the Forums, I had to come to this list
> for an answer to help a person a few weeks ago. One recent post had no
> replies, like others.
>
> Thus your idea that the Forums would be a forum is dead. Maybe I killed
> it by trying to post content to get it started.
>
> Both the mailing list and Facebook posts are on a conveyer belt to the
> past, old posts very hard to find.
>
> I called the Forums a Wiki because that is what it is, information can
> be found. Google is indexing it, the Mailing list is NOT!
>
> The great value of the Forums is that anyone can sign up and leave their
> valuable information for others to find. Which they are doing in large
> numbers if you look at the view counts.
>
> Without persons spending their valuable time trying to figure out how to
> do it with a Wiki, something that most will not take the time to do.
>
> I add the post you deleted because people are not using the resource in
> the best way. Yes I had to look at one of your posts to figure out how
> to use utube because it is not in the faq, not even the FAQ on the
> [...]

Stephen, I've had a couple linux installs here that demanded all support
was thru a forum.  A forum is a PIMA.  I quit using that flavor of linux a
couple years ago, and the forum support was one of the reasons.

First, you have to remember a username & password, logging in with a
browser, and you hope your browser is compatible.  Then you have to search
through at least 550 topics in 20 or more groups to see if there might be
an answer to your question already.   Then you get automatically logged out
while trying to digest the broken english of the one possibly applicable
post might be telling you.

This, like webmail, is NOT productive use of /anyones/ time.  Here on the
mailing list, my fetching of the mail is automatically done for me every 3
minutes, a tap of the + key finds and shows me the next unread message, and
if it something I can help the user with, one mouse click opens the reply,
and one mouse click sends it when I am done.

This is productive use of our time.  Old message retrievals are, to the
depth of my coco list corpus's limit which is sometime in 2002, not a
problem, kmail has an excellent search engine as does T-bird if that pulls
your trigger.

Whats not to like about a mailing list?, it is simple, convenient, and
above all else, FAST.  Most of the forums I've dealt with were run by
control freaks.  According to the first rule they are RIGHT, and if they
are wrong, see rule #1.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
I'm not proud.
dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million
          law-abiding citizens.