[Coco] The myth of the Coco3 256 color mode :)

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Tue Apr 16 20:02:53 EDT 2013

On 04/16/2013 04:49 PM, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Joel Ewy" <jcewy at swbell.net>

Sorry if you found the subject matter boring and the resolution low,
Stephen.  I chose photos that were Creative Commons licensed, so I could
legally include them in a derivative work, and that would demonstrate
what digital photos would look like using this method of display.  I
tried to pick a variety of subjects.  I wanted to show people, both
close up and at a little distance.  I wanted to show things that one
might see in an adventure game.  I also included one picture that was
not a photo but a computer generated graphic.

Personally, watching the slideshow again, I am surprised at how good the
images look, aside from the messiness of the video capture.  Use 'view'
in NitrOS-9 to display a 256 color .gif and tell me how you think it
looks compared to the images I put in that slideshow. Remember, this is
an unmodified CoCo 3, and this uses no palette switching or screen
flipping, so it can be used in games, or anywhere else you can display a
640x200x4 image, as long as you have a composite monitor or TV.  The
effective resolution is low: 160x200.  But the added colors can make it
well worth the trade-off for some purposes.  If you want to see the best
quality representation of a digital photo the CoCo 3 can produce, try
Sockmaster's Hi-color program.  It's fantastic, though it still does
have a little glitchiness when the palette registers are updated, and
some flicker, though much less than most.  The problem is, that doesn't
work in OS-9, and it doesn't work as a slideshow, and it can't easily be
used inside other programs.

One thing I've been playing with is the possibility of making a hybrid
image that superimposes high detail areas as a 4 gray 640x200 image on
top of the 160x200 artifact color image.  I remember from CoCo Max that
while you might get some unwanted artifacts (color error), you could
still put a lot of detail in a 256x192 image by treating it as a
full-resolution B/W bitmap, but use the red/blue artifacts to add color
in larger areas.  From what I understand, the human eye is more
sensitive to shades of gray than color, so rendering areas of detail in
gray should make for a more recognizable image, even if there are some
unwanted color artifacts.  My initial experiments are promising, but I
don't have anything to show quite yet.

JCE