[Coco] New CoCo Cartridge CAD Preview

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Tue Apr 16 06:17:29 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:33:28AM -0500, Joel Ewy wrote:
> On 04/15/2013 11:26 PM, Luis Fernández wrote:
> >Very good
> >I like 10 or 20 cartridges
> >how much?
> >I always wanted something like this, I have many cartridges (nearly 100), not how many I have left for the complete collection, it would be great to have the opportunity to buy the cartridges, and maybe the decal.
> >Manuals and they are lacking the gray box, not very complicated
> >There are other people who sell other cartridges, Membranes InteliVision Joystick re-made
> >Although not original, is very easy just connect and play, no wiring and fittings

> I can't give you a firm answer yet, Luis.  I haven't even printed
> this yet, though I expect to in the next day or two.  They're not
> going to be as cheap as what you could get if they were
> mass-produced.  But there probably isn't a market that could support
> a traditional mass-produced product for this anymore.  Also note
> that this is just a plastic housing -- no PCB, no label.  I could
> design a slight recess in the case as a guide for label placement,
> and an arrow pointing in the direction you're supposed to plug it
> into the computer (as if that's a question at this point) like the
> original CoCo game carts.
>
> I'll definitely let the list know when I'm at the stage that I can
> produce these for sale.

I looked into 3D printers and as Joel pointed out the plastic it uses is/was
expensive and the ones I was looking at weren't up to anything more then occasional
prototype stuff. Certainly not suitable for printing parts in quantity as the process
was rough on the mechanicals. I hope the durability of the printers has improved over the
years.

The Other Frank