[Coco] The CoCo outside of the U.S.

Fedor Steeman petrander at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 03:16:23 EDT 2013

Hi Boisy,

I can confirm what Torsten and Thierry wrote. For me, I was growing up in
the Netherlands (Holland) and Radio Shack was represented here by the
"Tandy" stores by which it was known. I reckon the name "Tandy" worked
better than "Radio Shack" for people in this part of the world.

The franchise was doing moderately well and in my native town of Haarlem,
which is a medium-sized town by Dutch standards, there was at least one
Tandy store. I still kept one of their commercial brochures of which I can
scan the computer pages if you are interested.

There was also an active CoCo community called
"CoCoNut<http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/CoCoNut>"
of which I was member in my early teens, and which had a monthly magazine
and meetings in Amsterdam or Utrecht. They also had a semi-legitimate
software library where I borrowed a lot of games. In retrospect, this was
perhaps one of the things that was detrimental, because Tandy's software
sales were probably not that good. Back then I was just a kid not knowing
any better. :-(

But Commodore 64 was much more popular. At one time I used to be bullied by
a guy who had a C64. We both went to some electronics course  in the
evenings at school. He kept calling me "Tandy boy" and tried to be
intimidating, intercepting me as I was trying to bike home. Those were the
days...

I nowadays live in Scandinavia were I don't think there ever was a Tandy /
Radio Shack presence. People from my generation and older, who are into IT,
at least never heard of it. They may, however, have heard of the famous
early TRS-80 models, but I don't think they were ever sold here.

If you have more specific questions, just let me know!

Cheers,
Fedor