[Coco] Floppy Controller available.

Mon Apr 15 23:06:00 EDT 2013

Hi,

I just got this via private e-mail.

----- Original Message -----
From: "J. Kanowitz" <jkanowitz at snet.net>
To: <mmarlett at isd.net>; <dickbatt at buffalo.com>;
<martygoodman at worldnet.att.net>; <SFischer1 at MindSpring.com>
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 2:46 AM
Subject: TRS-80 CoCo J&M floppy system: "Want one?"

Lucky you, you folks posted about this hardware in 2004 and it's the first
hit on Google.

I'm stuck with one of these (controller and FH floppy enclosure and PSU
populated with one HH floppy) that I'm trying to get out of the ol' family
basement.

Any chance any of you are still at these email addresses and want it or know
people who want it? Unfortunately I believe it lacks any identifying marks
other than the J&M name - just a black metal box with the logo on a corner,
and I was never a heavy CoCo user, just was given someone's abandoned system
as a toy about... well, more than a decade ago.

I believe I managed to run something that "mis-flashed" it (could it
possibly have some sort of NVRAM?) back in the day and rendered it
incompatible with pretty much all the disks that came with the castaway
system (helpfully they were hard-sectored floppies that someone'd stuck
masking tape over to make soft-sectored, which had already lost its stick by
the mid 90s) - was an unpleasant surprise that pretty much ended my noodling
with the system - but presumably this can be recognized and remedied by
people who actually know what they're doing.

The rest of the CoCo debris may still exist in storage somewhere as well,
but access is quite inconvenient even though I'd like to get this stuff out
of my life and into the life of anyone who actually wants it. ;)

I'm in CT, nearish NYC, and if this hardware is a true rarity you could
probably talk me into paying shipping to keep it "alive" (the controller's
no big deal, the floppy + PSU is a minor boat anchor, though).

-Cheers,
-Joe Kanowitz, N1KZZ