[Coco] The CoCo outside of the U.S.

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 15 20:08:03 EDT 2013

On 16/04/2013 7:19 AM, Bob Devries wrote:

> The company which represented Tandy/Radio Shack in Australia was also called
> InterTan. Not sure if it was related to the Canadian one.

Just in case it's not perfectly clear, we purchased our Coco's from the
local Tandy Radio Shack stores which, IIRC, were more commonly known simply
as "Tandy" over here.

> Grey case Cocos were sold in Australia. Not sure if there was a 4K version
> here, but certainly a 16K.

My Coco was one of the grey ones, though I can't recall whether I had 4K or
16K initially. It wasn't long before my father upgraded it to a 'chicklet'
keyboard and 64KB, with a toggle switch in the side to map the upper RAM
in/out? Never owned an MPI back in the day, but did have a 3rd party disk
controller. My father gave it all away long after I had moved on from the
Coco, and long before I got interested in retro computing again! :(

> There were also Coco2 units sold with the long (coco1 style) white case, and
> the "melted" keyboard. The Korean Coco2 in both A and B versions were sold too.

I don't have any personal recollection of the Coco 3 selling here, though I
now have a white cased PAL Coco 3 in my collection, which I was fortunate
enough to acquire from a collector who was giving up his collection.

I used to pour over the annual Tandy catalogue for hours and hours when I
was a kid, and the computer section was always the biggest draw card. A pity
I didn't think to keep any of the catalogues. :(

Regards,