[Coco] Gold Plating the Tin Card Edge Fingers of Old Coco Paks, MPIs, etc.

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Apr 15 19:53:40 EDT 2013

On Monday 15 April 2013 19:35:31 Kip Koon did opine:

> Gene,
> Your solution gave me an idea.  Would the Silver Solder from a Jeweler's
> repair shop be a good alternative to cutting off Gold Card Edge contacts
> from old PC motherboards?

No clue, no real knowledge of the alloys jewelers use since they are
generally a pretty tight lipped bunch.

If its the same basic silver solder alloy the refrigeration people use, I
doubt if my fawncy iron can get that hot, and in any event the traces would
boil right off the board under that sort of heat.

> Is Silver solder able to be soldered cool enough on a PCB to replace the
> tin-lead coating?

Generally no, this particular alloy was maybe 3% silver is all, and while
it would slow down the formation of the lead oxide over time, on a 10 year
time scale, probably not enough to make a real diff.  IIRC this stuff was
melting about 75F warmer than the std eutectic (lowest melting point),
commonly called 63/37% formula.  Some add a bit of copper which slows its
attack on soldering iron bits somewhat, but 2% seems about all they can
leach out of making it up in copper pots, using the copper as a sacrificial
metal.

The brand name of the stuff I bought from a traveling salesman was
Rhotainium or Rohtainium.  It did work well indeed, but it was also $150
for two 1/2 lb spools of it.  I suspect that salesman ate well that
evening. :)

> My mind is swirling
> with ideas. I wonder if I can get a Jeweler to do this or if I can buy
> some silver solder and do it myself.  Do Jewelers use a torch or a
> soldering iron?

What I've seen is usually a smallish butane torch.  But it may have been
burning the 1000F hotter MAP gas for all I know.

> My sister has been in the Jewelry business for years,
> so I'll have to ask her. I wonder if they could Gold Solder it also.
> Still thinking.  Thanks for all the responses so far.  I appreciate the
> help.
> Kip

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
BOFH excuse #174:

Backbone adjustment
dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million
          law-abiding citizens.