[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: RF to TV connection

jmlaw at iprimus.com.au jmlaw at iprimus.com.au
Sat Apr 13 18:43:35 EDT 2013

You can display the RF output of any CoCo on a VGA screen but it’ a bit of a process and you’ll need a V2V Pro or similar. http://www.amazon.com/MyGica-V2VPro-Video-Converter-Switcher/dp/B000XXZQWQ

The first step is finding an old VHS video player with composite video out, or an RF to composite converter. This is what the video player is used for.

If using an old VCR, plug the RF from the CoCo into the VCR antenna in and tune a video channel to the CoCo RF signal. The VCR RCA video out now gives you a composite out. You may need to find a TV/VCR switch on the VCR or the remote to enable the video out. This is then connected to the V2V Pro to display the composite signal on a VGA monitor. The display isn’t perfect but it is composite, so it’s ok. There is also a newer version of the V2V Pro called the HD game box but it’s not much better IMHO. It has other aspect ratios which may be handy when using a 16:9 monitor or tv, but I’m yet to try that.

You could also try building a composite out circuit for the CoCo (mentioned on the mailing list) but I’ve not tried that either.

The V2V Pro will also show artifact colors from all CoCos which is what I bought it for. An alternative (though more expensive) is a Dazzle USB capture device if you just want to view the composite output in a PC window. I’ve also tried 2 versions of the the much cheaper EzyCaps, they didn’t display color from an NTSC CoCo 3 for me.

No doubt there’s other ways, perhaps cheaper too, but this is just how I do it and it may give you some ideas.

Hope it helps.

JasonL