[Coco] CoCo Ethernet for $25-$30...

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 18:55:13 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 6:49 PM, John Kent <jekent at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> I use an XPort AR board to provide ethernet to RS232.
> It's fairly expensive.
> Having a Raspberry Pi configured to do the same thing would be a cheaper
> solution.
>
> If you are looking for something for the CoCo there is always the Contiki OS
> which is now being touted as for "the internet of things"..
> Adam Dunkel does have lwIP (light weight IP) and uIP stacks intended for
> small microcontroller applications.
> I think it was used as a demo with the Power PC in the Virtex 4 FPGA for a
> training exercise from Avnet.
> The Virtex 4 has a Power PC 405 built in along with two tri-mode ethernet
> controllers.
> On the board I have only one is accessible though.
>
> I do have some other FPGA boards with an ethernet controller on them, namely
> the XSA-3S1000 & XST-3.0 from Xess and an Altera/Terasic DE2-70 board.
> These are fairly expensive boards though.
>
> Gary Becker did show me the WizNet some time ago and was considering using
> it in an add on board for the Terasic DE1 board.
> The 6809 in the CoCo only runs at 1MHZ or less, and you don't have DMA for
> transferring packets into memory.
> Many ethernet controllers though have internal buffers for receiving
> packets.
> There are ethernet "shields" for the Arduino, so you could possibly use them
> as an RS232 to ethernet convters..
>
> Drivewire is fine , but it has to be tethered to the serial port of a PC.
> I'm wondering if Aaaron could make it support ethernet as a possible
> transfer mechanism.
> Drivewire is intended as a disk server for the CoCo.
> I see no reason why that can't use ethernet as a physical interface.
> it would be adding to it rather than subtracting from it.
> Drive wire does have a port system of sorts.
> i.e. you can run other services under it.

Actually, support for DriveWire over IP is already present in the
current DW4 server.  It is used to support emulators like XRoar.  The
server can listen on a TCP socket or it can make outbound TCP
connections, either way.

We also have support for (very) high speed USB/serial devices, up into
the 10Mbps range, and experimental support for parallel devices.

-Aaron