[Coco] Drvewire USB 2 Serial question

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Tue Sep 18 15:17:06 EDT 2012

----- Original Message -----

From: "Gene Heskett"

> On Tuesday 18 September 2012 14:18:16 Bill Pierce did opine:
>
>> Hi guys,
>> I've been helping Lester Hands get his Coco going with Drivewire.

>> We have it going, all seems to be well except for one problem

>> When using Drivewire, whether to boot Nitro or just use VHDs

>> in HDBDOS, sometimes it just doesn't work.

>> Thanks
>> Bill P
>
> I may be one of the folks who has noted adapter problems,

> specifically the Prolific pl2303's.

> Cheers, Gene
> --

 ===========================

This problem shows up with low end amateur radios too.  There are many
usually Chinese clones of the Prolific USB to Serial adapter and with each
new wave of clones Prolific rewrites their driver to shut them down.  You
may have some luck using an old, even very old driver and not letting your
PC update the driver.

Bruce W.

From:
<http://www.essexham.co.uk/news/programming-the-quansheng-tg-uv2-from-a-pc.html>

Connecting the radio to the PC

With the programming software installed, now connect the programming lead to
the PC. The lead is a Serial-to-USB converter, and the PC should now install
the drivers.

At this point, my PC complained that it missing a file. It was trying to
install the "Prolific USB-to-Serial" driver, and missing the file ser2pl.sys
. In the end, I downloaded this sys file from
www.floridaprobe.com/usb_install.htm, copied it into
c:\windows\system32\drivers, and then completed the installation.

When researching this article, I also found drivers for 64-bit operating
systems here: www.radiogearpro.com/download/USB_Drivers_64_bit_4.2.0.zip

FWIW; the 64 bit drivers don't seem to work with 64 bit XP.