[Coco] DW4 problems

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Oct 13 07:36:39 EDT 2012

On Saturday 13 October 2012 07:23:36 Aaron Wolfe did opine:

> The largest OS9 image I use is 40MB in size, so copying monster RBF
> filesystems is not well tested.  There may be unexpected issues.
>
> Copying large drives may require an unusually large amount of RAM
> (approx equal to the size of the drive you are copying + 8MB) if DW is
> in caching mode.
> By default the Java VM will have a relatively small limit, depending
> on your OS anywhere from 32MB to 256MB.  That's totally fine for
> normal use, but when changing every sector on a drive while the server
> is caching changed sectors, you may run out.
>
> You can allocate any amount of ram to DW using the command line.  The
> command will look like:
>
> java -Xmx1024 -jar DW4UI.jar

ATM, using htops 11.3% figure and assuming its accurate, that means java is
using 485,331,304 bytes of my nominally 4Gb of dram in this machine.  The
launching line was

java -jar DW4UI.jar.

So it appears to be using more than 256 megs right now.  Unless that is
11.3% of low memory.  The VIRT column says 1703M and the RES column says
397M.  Apparently shared between 34 instances.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Carson's Observation on Footwear:
	If the shoe fits, buy the other one too.