[Coco] Colorful_Sled_6ed

Fri Oct 12 23:53:40 EDT 2012

Hi,

You are describing just how I did it myself. Apparently I did not need to do
that often enough early on to put it in.

> it kinda sux!
>
> why on earth a simple CTRL ENTER won't do it ?

What the program can do was greatly constrained by the original authors
decisions. In 85/06/03! Yes, 1985.

I did not realize that the memory limit would be hit by the macro code.

That being ripped out freeing up program space for other things was
considered but I just lost my interest at that point.

Sled = Screen LINE Editor. The internal storage is in lines, that is the
real problem in doing many things.

ConTEXT allows a vertical slice of text to be selected and moved, up down,
left, right, to another entirely different place. I was asked about
something like that and I think a way to do it was possible. But it would
have been hard.

Remember, Sled was a huge step up from Edit, DECB's editor, Basic09's
editor. It should be compared to them, not what we have today on Windows and
other platforms.

It has been twenty years since I stopped work on Sled, the computer world
has advanced way far beyond what was doable back then. Without the macro
stuff being ripped out, there just is no space for changes, unless you are
willing to lose another 8K from the text buffer space.

As I said, RED was a better way, Sled had reached it's limit. 64K with no
overlays, it does a lot.

SHF